The award winning Sukau Rainforest Lodge nestled on the banks of one of Borneo's most important waterways, the Kinabatangan River, is home to many of Borneo's magnificent wildlife including the Orang Utan, Proboscis monkeys and Bornean Pygmy Elephants. Established in the year 1995, this lodge was first of its kind to be built in this area and to be constructed on the principles of eco-tourism. The vision of the lodge is not only to provide eco-tourism services but also to encourage sustainable hospitality by involving the local community and working towards their development. Because of its unique geography, wildlife naturally congregates along the river bank in the morning and evening, making Sukau one of the best places in Borneo to view wildlife in their natural habitat. Sukau Rainforest Lodge was recognised by National Geographic as a Unique Lodges of the World. It features a 1,500ft long board walk, 4 viewing platforms and an open air lounge providing an opportunity to relax whilst watching forest life go by. The lodge has a dip pool with sun-speckled decking, an open dining area, library and lounge area with cane and bamboo sofas), free WIFI, a gift shop and the Halia Spa. Explore the hushed wilderness with sheer comfort designed with conventional methods of energy resources and enjoy a memorable stay for a lifetime.
Perched on the banks of the untamed Kinabatangan River, the Sukau Rainforest Lodge is accessed by air, road and then boat. Fly to Sandakan from Kota Kinabalu, which takes approx. 45 minutes.
Transfer to the Sandakan Yacht Club, which is 15 minutes away from Sandakan Airport. From here, travel to the lodge by boat which takes approx. 2 ½ hours. As you cruise through the beautiful Kinabatangan River, you may see some of Borneo’s rare and endangered species.
- An award winning eco lodge, part of National Geographic Unique Lodges
- The Lodges commitment to sustainable tourism, and supporting the local community of the World.
- Its location in the rainforest which is home to many of Borneo's magnificent and endangered wildlife
- Rooms and Villas designed in eco-friendly materials and inclusive amenities offered by using conventional methods
- Stroll right from your room into the jungle on an elevated boardwalk, stopping to see wildlife and tropical plants
- Wake up early morning to the sounds of the wild inhabitants of this area and feel the nature.
- Experience luxury in the natural settings of the Kitabanga River and the exotic rain forest.
- Trek to the Gomantong Caves and look for the native Orangutans with special add-on experiences.
- Explore the Gomantong Caves Wildlife and look for some of the rare species of flora and fauna.
- Welcome and feed the calm guests i.e. the Bornean Pygmy Elephants who visit the river flood plains for early morning bath.
- Rejuvenate yourself at the Halia Spa and enjoy some relaxing therapies.
- Guided nature Board Walks.
- Experience the beauty of wild wildlife at night with Night Cruise and look for some of the exotic species like stuarine Crocodile, the Buffy Fish-Owl, kingfishers, monitor lizards as well as proboscis monkeys on the treetops.
- Enjoy a relaxing Cruising experience with day excursions along the Kitabanga River.
- Bring out the inner artist in you with Batik Painting activity.
- Informative Wildlife trek along the river and Orangutan talk at the Ape Gallery.